Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bystander Behavior

I have been a bystander to many things in my life I'm sure. The thing that probably bothers me the most is that I have been a bystander to people my age drinking and driving. I've always been against it, but after awhile, the amount of people I knew doing it grew and it was harder to stop people from doing it. Some people just don't realize the consequences of making this wrong decision. I have recently become a bystander to this because I have had the attitude that at this point in our lives, if people haven't realized what's important to them and what is right and wrong then I don't need to be wasting my time trying to change their mind and get them help. But the longer I sit here and write this, it makes me think more and more how I can prevent it. And that if something were to happen and I were the one that could have stopped it and I didn't do something, how awful I would feel afterwards.
I remember one time at my high school my brother and I were talking out by our cars and my papers flew out of my binder all over the school parking lot. My brother was the only one to help me and no one else even stopped and I would have lost a lot less papers and it would have taken less time to collect them all had someone else stepped in and helped.
Personally, I think that college students (generally speaking) don't speak up against wrong doing because we feel as if someone else will do it. Especially at a university as large as OU. There is always someone else who can do it, so we think that the responsibility is not left up to us.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sending me your url! I love reading your blog posts. =)

    Don't forget that at OU, we have the SafeRide program, available on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 10 pm to 3 am. If you call 325-RIDE, they will come pick your friends up from anywhere in Norman and take them home. It's a great program that is designed to keep the Norman streets safe. Perhaps you could offer to call SafeRide for your friends sometime, and maybe that will help put a stop to drinking and driving?

    I think you're definitely right--diffusion of responsibility is a huge factor in bystander behavior at large Universities like ours.

    I'll see you on Tuesday!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete